It's been a good month - lots of exciting things to do and to look forward to.
I may as well start with some extremely exciting news - here are the two puppies we are going to be getting from Alaska in under 2 weeks! Phoenix, one of our dogs here, had some frozen sperm flown up to another Hedlund Husky in alaska and bish-bash-bosh now there is a Phoenix litter up there! We are getting two of the litter, a boy and a girl. Linda has named the girl Terra and the boy Griffin.
![]() |
| Terra - the girl pup. |
![]() |
| Griffin, the boy pup |
![]() |
| Rayna. She's usually so lean so you can see her bump! |
![]() |
| Me driving my team! |
We are always looking for new dog sled trails so we go out and cut through the forest, cutting new trails to get further and to new places. Come sun or snow!
Also, the group of mushers up here form a group called The Cook County Mushers, and they do many different things together, in the mushing and non mushing communities. Here we are preparing to go clean up a couple of miles of highway! (I'm in the back right of Linda in the orange jacket). It was a beautiful sunset during and then a great pot-luck at our friends house after wards, not bad for community service!
![]() |
| The view of Grand Marais from half way up |
![]() |
| The sheet rock we had to climb |
Our friends at a local restaurant and hotel on the lake close down for Christmas around this time and Rachel and I were invited to their traditional "hot tub party on the beach". It sounded glamorous! Rachel and I took a few beers, and walked the beach looking for this 'hot tub'. It was soon dark and there was no sign of it...
![]() |
| Rachel and Paul test out the water. We had about 10 people in there in the end! |
Our emergency vet is about 1 and a half hours away in Canada, but our regular vet is over 3 hours away in a town called Ely. The first day Linda and I went there, with 8 dogs! 4 in the back of the cab and 4 in crates in the boot, it was bit of a squish.
But there was a beautiful sunrise and sunset (yes, we were on the road for both).
The next day I went with another two dogs by myself. Ely is such a strangely stereotypically American town, it is fun to look around.
![]() |
| an example of a wolf pup litter. |
And along they came, 150lb wolves! It was amazing. The camera doesn't do justice to how massive they were.
Rachel hadn't been to Canada since she was wee so we all went up for dinner in Canada to an all you can eat Sushi place (amazing, I know!)
Linda and I have been there many times and always get served by this guy, Kenny, and Linda decided she wanted to hunt him down for a picture together. I don't think he quite got why this was happening...
In the front garden we have built a fire pit, and some benches from tree trunks. It is awesome to sit out there and relax under the stars or watch the sunset.
But it's not all go. It's been Halloween so we got a couple of pumpkins to carve!
And Copper and I chill out together sometimes too. How cute is this three legged wonder?!
![]() |
| Copper warms up after being out in the snow |











































.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment